Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Wedding Salad! Arugula with Cilantro-Lime Dressing and Watermelon


The food at my wedding this summer was amazing. The raw lasagna the kitchen took on the challenge to make as our veggie option was fantastic (and I'm told all the cooked dishes were great, as well).
We kicked off the meal with an arugula salad dressed with cilantro-lime dressing and topped with watermelon. I neglected to get the recipe, but here's my own. Hopefully there are a last few fresh watermelon where you are to try it out! Otherwise, keep the recipe for an elegant salad to serve next summer.
This recipe serves 2-3 as an appetizer or side salad - double or triple it depending on how may you are having!
First, you need to slice about a cup of watermelon verrrry thin. I cut mine into blocks with a surface that was about 1 inch x 3 inches, and then sliced it on the mandoline, so I got little ribbons. Matchsticks would also work, or small cubes.
In the food processor (I used my mini chopper, since it is a small quantity), blend:
2 tablespoons of lime juice (probably about 1-2 limes)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/4-1/2 cup fresh cilantro (to taste)
1 teaspoon or so of agave nectar, to taste (or, 1-2 soft dates)
1/8 teaspoon salt (or more, to taste)
Tiny pinch of cayenne (or more, to taste)
Just before serving, toss 4-5 cups of arugula with the dressing, and briefly toss in the watermelon, or arrange with watermelon on top on the serving plate.
Raw appétit!


No comments:

Post a Comment