Monday, September 13, 2010

Tahini Zucchini Chips: I Munched, and Munched, and Munched


There's a weird line in Macbeth where the three witches are talking, and one says she saw a sailor's wife with chestnuts who "munched and munched and munched." The witch had asked the sailor's wife for some of her snack, and the wife told her to scram, she tells her fellow witches.
For some reason, that line has stuck on my head since high school English (and of course I think it with a creepy witch voice), maybe because it seems like such a more modern word than Shakespeare. It's not like the Bard wrote about some chick snapping onto a Slim Jim, but "munch" just seems slangy to me...anyway, as a fellow snack-o-saurus, I can identify with the sailor's wife not wanting to share.
I'm constantly trying to figure out yummy, veggie-based snacks for myself, to grab a handful of instead of grabbing fattier nuts or more calorie-dense dried fruit or something. Unfortunately, I'm not on such a high plane of rawness yet that I can just eat the veggie itself and feel totally satisfied...someday, maybe. But until then, I give you my recipe for Tahini Zucchini chips:
2 large zucchini
2 tablespoons raw tahini
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1-2 tablespoons water
Salt & pepper to taste
Slice zucchini into 1/8 inch rounds. Mine may actually have been slightly thicker than that, and they worked just fine.
Whisk tahini, lemon juice, water, and seasonings together in a small bowl with a fork, until smooth. Add any other fresh or dried herbs or spices that you like, as well, although salt & pepper were delish enough for me.
Toss zucchini with dressing until well coated. You may want to work in batches. I just used my hands, to separate the slices and coat them well.
Place on mesh dehydrator screens, and dehydrate at 105 for probably about 8 hours, depending on the humidity where you live, and how juicy your zucchini was to start. I did mine overnight, so I'm not sure about the exact time where they seemed quite dry. Mine never got totally brittle like a potato chip, but they were quite yummy. I recommend checking partway through dehydrating time to see if the seasoning is still good, and sprinkling on a little salt, pepper, or what have you if they need a little umph.
As I said, I munched and munched and munched, so these were gone in a couple of days. I imagine they would keep for several days in an airtight container...raw appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment