This fresh raw berry cobbler reminds me of the cakes decorated with blueberries and strawberries that people bring to Memorial Day and Fourth of July parties...I used strawberries and blackberries in mine, but blueberries would be delicious as well!
You could use frozen here, but I think fresh, in season berries are much tastier! For the spring and summer time, I like fresh strawberries as the primary fruit, but use any in season fruit you like…this would be delicious with peaches in the summer, or apples in the fall.
2 ½ cups strawberries
¾ cup blackberries
½ cup medjool dates
1) Wash and slice strawberries, and place two cups of strawberries and the blackberries in a large bowl. Squish them gently with a fork, to release some of their juices.
2) In a food processor, combine the additional ½ cup of strawberries with ½ cup of pitted dates. Soft medjool dates are best for this, but if you can’t find nice, soft dates, pit and soak your dates for 10 minutes, then drain them before using in the recipe. Blend berries and dates until smooth
3) Add blended berries to sliced berries, toss well and set aside
1 cup almonds
½ cup dates
1 tablespoon coconut oil
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon or so of cinnamon, to taste
Pinch of sea salt
1) Combine almonds, pitted dates, coconut oil, vanilla, cinnamon and salt in a food processor until it is almost like a cookie dough, but you can still see small crumbs of almond
2) Press mixture into a pie plate
1) Top crust with berries, and refrigerate before serving or serve immediately.
2) Take several small scoops of the mixture and layer them into an individual serving bowl, so it resembles a cooked cobbler
3) Alternately, you can simply place a few tablespoons of the crust mixture directly into the serving bowl, top with some berries, and continue to layer it, rather than pressing into the pie plate first.