Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Raw on the Road...with the Family Medjools

I'm traveling...again...which is the absolute hardest time to eat raw. Add to that a couple of parties to go to, meals eaten out, and being around family and friends...it is hard! But it is easier as long as I make sure to have a few treats for myself...I've posted the brownie recipe below before, but it is worth repeating because it is really easy to do...and really darn yummy! And a nice break from another plain salad or green smoothie, which are away-from-home staples...little treats spice up what can other wise get tiresome.
I have to say, though, my family is absolutely awesome about supporting my raw food lifestyle...my mom always has plenty of veggies, fruits, and nuts for me, and we even found raw kale chips at a Whole Foods the other day!...and my aunty made a raw zucchini pasta dish for a party over the weekend (creamy pesto sauce tossed with spinach and zucchini noodles...she saw it here in my post of March 10, and it is one of her favorites!).
Of course, you don't HAVE to be traveling to make these brownies...they are nice at home, too! If you don't like chocolate or don't want the little bit of caffeine, just the dates and walnuts are yummy on their own! Topping that with a slice of fresh fruit would be deeelish!

Easy Brownies
1 cup walnuts (pecans are nice, too, and I've also done it with cashews, although they make it a little crumblier)
1 cup pitted dates (try to use nice soft ones like medjools)
2-3 ( or 4 or 5) tablespoons raw cacao powder (or raw carob, if you prefer)
Pinch of sea salt

Process this all in a food processor until you can't tell the dates from the nuts...it seems like this will not be possible, but if you leave it in there long enough, it will. You'll notice the walnuts releasing their oils on the sides of the processor, and it will turn dark and sticky. Touch the sides of the container while it is processing to make sure it doesn't feel hot - you don't want to roast your walnuts! Roll into balls or shape into a brownie-like thing, and either refrigerate or freeze in an airtight container until it is time to nosh! Raw appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment