Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Zucchini Noodles with Macadamia Basil Cream Sauce and Spinach


I am realizing that my blog posts have been fewer and further between these days. The thing is, I'm spending a lot of time planning my wedding - it's T-minus 4 1/2 months - and that leaves less time for experimenting with delicious raw food! I've been making a lot of my favorite staples lately...huge salads, green smoothies, zucchini noodles.

Last week, I had a big bunch of basil, and a couple of zucchini…but was feeling a little pestoed-out (who would have thought that was possible??). So I threw together a few things, and…voila! Zucchini noodles with macadamia basil cream sauce and spinach!

Here’s what I did:

Marinate about 6 cups – or more! - of baby spinach in olive oil, a squirt of lemon (maybe a ¼ lemon wedge) and salt and pepper…really massage the dressing in there, and then cover it and let it rest for a couple of hours.

For your zucchini noodles, use your spiral slicer, potato peeler, or mandoline to make long strips, whatever shape you like. I use 1 ½ - 2 zucchini per person, depending on the size.

For the sauce:

¾ cup raw macadamia nuts (cashews work, too, if you can't find the macs)

½-1 cup of water – start with a little and add more as you go!

Big bunch of basil – 1-2 cups packed

¼ - ½ a lemon (to taste)

Salt & Pepper

Garlic (optional)

Add your macadamias, water, basil and lemon to a high speed blender, regular blender, or food processor. The high speed blender will be smoother, but it will be delish in a food processor as well, just a little bit grainier. Blend until desired smoothness is reached, adding more water if necessary. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Toss zucchini noodles, marinated spinach and sauce together, and…raw appétit!

1 comment: