Friday, March 26, 2010

Sweet Flax Chips


One of my students told me the other day that she’d love to have a sweet sort of cracker for her kids to snack on, maybe spread a little almond butter on and top with raisins…I figured it couldn’t be hard, so I did a little dehydrator experimentation, and came up with this recipe today…

1 cup flax seeds

1 medium-large banana, quite ripe

1 tablespoon agave

1 tablespoon cinnamon

Soak flax seeds in one cup of water for about an hour, till it forms a gluey sludge (do not drain, although the seeds should have absorbed most of the water at this point). In a food processor (I used my mini chopper for this), blend the banana, agave, and cinnamon until smooth and thoroughly combined. Stir the banana blend into flax seeds until well combined, and spread onto teflex dehydrator sheets. I spread mine to about ¼ inch thickness, about 3 seeds stacked, so that these would make nice sturdy crackers. Dehydrate 4 hours at 105 until edges begin to curl up, then flip into a mesh screen until the crackers become very crunchy…I’d say another 5-6 hours at least. Break into pieces, and store in an airtight container. Serve, as mentioned, with a nut butter or even with ice cream as a scooper. Raw appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment