Thursday, January 14, 2010

Back to Bloggin'...with Rosemary Garlic Raw Stuffed Mushrooms


I can’t believe it has been so long since I’ve blogged! Believe me, it’s been about that long since I made anything much more complicated than a salad. The holidays were very busy, and also I got engaged, so I’ve been working on the initial, big details of wedding planning.

If that weren’t enough, I’m teaching an Alissa Cohen Living on Live Food class on January 23 (check out www.rawteachers.com/angelasalvucci) and a raw basics workshop at Pure Yoga and Pilates in Wilmington, DE on February 6, and plan to add more classes to my calendar shortly! So it’s a busy time – forgive my lack of attention to the blog!

With all my travels and class and wedding planning, there hasn’t been much time for grocery shopping, so I’m running low on supplies, but tonight I made raw stuffed mushrooms and a broccoli soup for dinner (the soup was to try out my brand new Vita-Mix, QVC version…my first super duper turbo high speed blender!). The broccoli soup was Alissa Cohen’s recipe in Living on Live Food, but the mushroom recipe was mine, based on a) my mom’s cooked stuffed mushrooms, which are delicious and b) what I actually had in the fridge and cabinets! Here goes:

About a dozen large button mushrooms (crimini would also work)

½ cup celery, chopped (about 2 stalks)

½ cup walnuts

1 clove of garlic (less if you don’t want it too zippy)

½ teaspoon onion powder

1 ½ tablespoons (or so) fresh rosemary (use whatever spices you like! I was using the remains of a rosemary Christmas tree that had decorated the kitchen table for the holidays)

2 tablespoons olive oil

Salt (about ½ teaspoon) & pepper to taste

Wipe any dirt off mushrooms with a damp cloth, and gently remove stems. In a food processor, combine all other ingredients until as smooth or chunky as you like (I did mine quite smooth). With a small spoon, stuff mushroom caps. This recipe will make about a dozen large, very full stuffed mushrooms. Place mushroom caps and dehydrate for an hour or too at 105, to warm them through, or put them in the oven at the lowest temp (and keep checking to make sure they aren’t getting too warm!), or just eat as-is. Raw appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment