Monday, October 5, 2009

Raw on the Road: BYO Raw Cocoa

Im in Massachusetts visiting my family, and although traveling and eating raw usually means lots and lots and lots of salad, my mom prepared the cupboard for me with tons of fresh fruit and veggies, raw nuts, and…RAW COCOA POWDER! It has been ages since my local health food store has even had any of my sweet, dark master in stock, so I was doing the happy dance when I found it in the cabinet. And the first chance I got, I busted out the food processor (mom has a normal size one, which is also a nice treat compared to my usual mini chopper ways) and made a raw chocolate snack.

Here’s a super easy, yummy raw recipe for brownies that’s easy to make on the road…it requires few ingredients, and you can get all but the raw cocoa at the regular grocery store. BYORC, and you’re all set! They are also pretty palatable to raw newbies, and cocoa powder is an amazing superfood: according to the package of mine, 2 ½ tablespoons has 60 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, 8% of your daily iron, and a slew of antioxidants. But the bottom line is: it’s chocolate!

Easy Raw Brownies:

1 cup medjool dates, pitted (use 1 ½ cups if they are the smaller, drier supermarket variety, and you may need to add a couple tablespoons of water if it is still very dry and crumbly in the food processor after all the ingredients are added)

1 cup walnuts (or cashews, or almonds, or whatever nut you’ve got, unsoaked.)

¼ cup (or so!) cocoa powder

Pinch of sea salt

Combine all in food processor until a dough ball starts to form. Add water a tablespoon at a time if this doesn’t happen, which may be because your dates are dry. Form into a ¾ high round or square shape on a plate, or roll into bite sized balls. Cover and freeze or refrigerate…raw appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment