Saturday, September 12, 2009

Oat Groats: The Breakfast of Raw Champs


Today as I was making my own raw breakfast of champions, I realized I have never blogged about the most important meal of the day!

Typically, I just have a lot of fruit for breakfast, over the course of a morning. Fruit digests quickly and easily if it is on its own in your belly, so it is best eaten on an empty stomach, and if possible, one kind at a time. For example, melons digest really quickly…best to eat them first and give them a while before you start downing bananas or raisins or what have you. I might have a whole bunch of watermelon, then a peach or two an hour later, then a banana or two a little later.

That is, unless I’m in marathon training.

Today I ran my first longish run to train for the Philly marathon (12 miles…I’m a little behind schedule!) on November 20, and made myself a breakfast of raw champs: soaked oat groats!

Before I went raw, I would usually have a bagel before a long run, and if it was before the actual marathon, I might slip in a few pretzels for a little extra salt. I didn’t like bananas because I felt like I regurgitated them a little when I started running (sorry, too much info!).

I ate soaked oat groats during training for last year’s Boston Marathon, and had great results, although I managed to gross out one of my fellow runners on the bus…I had blended it up with a few other ingredients…she asked if I was eating tuna salad! Hey, whatever works…

Anyway, oat groats are as easy as regular oatmeal. The groat is the whole grain kernel, before it is steamrolled or whatever those Quakers do to all those oats them sell.

To eat the groats, you have to soak them, for at least 24 hours (change the water once in there). I have about ½-3/4 of a cup dry for one serving. Once it is soft, I like to give the groats a quick chop in the food processor. Sometimes I add in a little almond butter to make it creamy. Bananas, raisins, cinnamon, and a little squirt of agave are also delicious toppings to stir in. In a pinch (meaning, it is the night before a long run and I haven’t soaked my groats yet), I use steel cut groats (eg, Irish Oatmeal), which are already chopped up and absorb water a little faster, and just soak over night.

Interesting to note…I don’t have problems digesting bananas now that I’m raw!

Best thing about raw oats…no sticky pan to clean after!

Raw appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment