Thursday, July 15, 2010

What's Up, Doc? Carrot Cumin Crackers


I haven't stopped making delish raw food, I've just been verrrry busy with last minute details for my wedding (yes, I'll be eating raw there, too, with a raw entree and even a raw wedding cake!), and haven't been able to gather my thoughts long enough to blog!
But I have to post this recipe for raw carrot cumin flax crackers for my Aunt Theresa, who asked for the recipe...I might as well share with everyone!
I use a juicer for the carrot pulp, but if you don't have one, just use the food processor...and know that the dehydration time will be longer.

Here's the recipe:
2 cups of flax seeds, soaked in 2 cups of water for 2-3 hours (you really can't skip this step...the soaking makes a goo that sticks the whole thing together)
Pulp of 2 pounds of carrots that have been juiced
Cumin, cayenne & salt to taste

Mix carrot pulp and soaked flax seeds together, either in a bowl (more labor intensive, if you are looking to build your biceps) or in the food processor. Add cumin, salt and cayenne to taste...I like cumin, and it goes great with carrots, so I used more than a tablespoon...start with a little less, and see how much you like. A dash or more of cayenne works, depending on how spicy you like it...and at least a teaspoon of sea salt. You could also add garlic, or onion powder, and who knows what else!

Spread on a plastic dehydrator sheet, til you have a thickness of 2-3 flax seeds stacked on each other, and dehydrate for 6 hours or so, until the edges are curling up...flip onto a mesh screen, peel off plastic backing, and dehydrate for 3 or so more hours, until very crisp. These keep well in an airtight container...mine have stayed crispy and yummy for at least a week. Great served with hummus, olive tapenade, or other dips. As I like to saw...raw appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment