Sunday, April 18, 2010

Gearing up for Another Raw Marathon

I'm in Massachusetts today, getting ready to run the Boston Marathon tomorrow! I just made my raw energy bars - a recipe from Brendan Brazier's book "Thrive" - and have been soaking/sprouting oat groats for my pre-race breakfast. I forgot the mesh strainer I normally use to drain them, so I've been using my mom's knee highs! (A new pair, of course!) I've been eating lots of hydrating veggies and fruits the past couple of days, and of course drinking plenty of water...I think I'm ready! I forget what meals I had the night before my long training runs, so I'm going to stick with my favorite salad...kale, parsley, and tahini. In the morning I'll rinse the oats again, add cinnamon, a banana and some raisins, and head out for the race - simple! Before I went raw, I would freak out before a marathon about what food I was eating in the days leading up to the race, the night before, the morning of, etc. And during the race, I'd pump myself full of energy gels and sports drinks that have goodness-knows-what in them. I'm very relaxed today (well, as relaxed as I ever could be), and I think that knowing that I'm making great choices to fuel my body helps keep the nerves in check. Unfortunately no amount of kale can guarantee perfect weather and a tailwind tomorrow, but I've done everything in my power to ensure a great race.

No comments:

Post a Comment