Friday, August 21, 2009

Don't Let the Dehydrator Scare You! It's an Easy Bake Oven for Grown-Ups...

While it is VERY true that you can make delicious and fairly complicated raw food with nothing fancier than a blender and food processor (my little kitchen necessitates a miniprocessor, which was less than $30, and gets me pretty far), I have a blast making stuff in my dehydrator. I got it last Christmas, and unlike the Easy Bake over I got when I was six, my dehydrator has always turned out pretty good stuff...and sometimes, the transformation the food goes through is even more exciting than the Easy Bake! But I have hesitated in certain categories of raw food dehydration, like crackers and breads.
I was asked by a friend yesterday morning if I ever made flax crackers, as he wanted to try some with some hummus he made for a pre-concert tailgate...the truth is, no, I haven't because they scare me a little. I've made dehydrated things with similar uses to crackers, but never crackers themselves, as they seem time consuming, and frightening - what if they aren't crispy??
So, anyway, I still haven't made flax crackers, or any other kind. The concert was last night, and raw crackers take a lot of soaking and sprouting and a long time in the dehydrator. Wasn't going to happen. But I tried to made something to be used for dipping, similar to taco shells I have made, but drier and with more flavorful ingredients, so hopefully they'd be tasty and dippable.
And they were!
DON'T let it scare you away that I made these in the dehydrator! You could put your oven on the lowest temperature, and leave it open a little, spread the dough on a cookie sheet (do yourself a favor and use a little foil or parchment paper) and be good to go! "Raw" food is supposed to be kept under 112 degrees in order to keep all the enzymes intact (which help digestion, and keep you young looking and illness-free), but I won't tell the raw police if your exper-raw-ment goes up to 113 degrees...these little flatbreads will be way better for you still, and maybe it will inspire you to ask Santa for a dehydrator...that's what I did last year, and I've been cranking stuff out of my little magic oven ever since.
Here's my Fabulous Flatbread recipe:
1 cup - about 2 ears - fresh sweet corn (frozen works, too)
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1/4 cup sundried tomaters, chopped up
1 clove of garlic
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
Throw it all in the food processor - making sure to chop up the sundrieds...I've killed a blender with whole ones - and process til smooth. Spread it out on the teflex dehydrator sheet, or parchment paper or foil if it's going in your oven, to about 1/4 inch thickness. I dehydrated for about an hour and a half at 105, then flipped onto the mesh screen, and left it in for another 4 hours or so...it was probably ready after another 2ish, but I was trying to get it a little more firm. Great for dips, or to use as a sandwich wrap! I got about 2 dozen 2 inch squares.



No comments:

Post a Comment